UL HPC School - June 2017
The University of Luxembourg operates since 2007 a High Performance Computing platform which currently features a total of nodes (in practice, computing cores) for a cumulative computing power estimated at TFlops.
The total raw storage capacity shared within the clusters is currently estimated at TB (NFS + Lustre).
- Access to and interaction with the UL HPC infrastructures
- HPC challenges, especially as regards data and storage management
- HPC workflow management (for sequential and parallel tasks)
- HPC Programming and Usage of the main software available on the platform (Matlab, R, MPI, physics, chemistry, bioinformatics, BigData tools) and services using the platform
- Software environment management
- Virtualization on the clusters
The aim is to cover basic as well as advanced usage of the platform. Whether you have no HPC experience or are an advanced user, don’t miss this unique opportunity to learn more about the efficient usage of the system.
Important Pre-registration is required. No on-site registration will be accepted. Pre-registration will be accepted until Friday, June 9th, 2017. Registration Fees (200€) applies for UL externals and should be paid prior to the venue.
June 12th and 13th, 2017, on the Belval campus, “Location: Rooms TBA”
All sessions will take place at the Belval Campus.
Important You are expected to bring your laptop for all sessions since there will be no workstation available on site.
Agenda - Day 1 (Monday, June 12th, 2017)
|June 12th||Main Track||Presenter||Advanced Parallel Track||Presenter|
|9h00-10h00||PS1: Getting Started on the UL HPC platform||C. Parisot|
|10h30-12h30||Keynote: Overview and Challenges of the UL HPC Facility at the Belval and EuroHPC Horizon||S. Varrette|
|13h30-15h30||PS2: HPC workflow with sequential jobs (test cases on GROMACS, Java and Python)||H.Cartiaux||PS3: Advanced Scheduling (Slurm, OAR) and Software Customization||V. Plugaru|
|16h00-17h00||PS4a: UL HPC Monitoring in practice: why, what, how, where to look||C. Parisot||PS4b: Debugging, profiling and performance analysis||V. Plugaru|
|17h00-18h30||PS5: HPC workflow with Parallel/Distributed jobs||S. Varrette||PS6: Bioinformatics workflows and applications||S. Peter|
PS = Practical Session using your laptop
Agenda - Day 2 (Tuesday, June 13th, 2017)
|June 13th||Main Track||Presenter||Advanced Parallel Track||Presenter|
|9h00-10h30||PS7: Big Data Applications||S. Varrette||PS8: MATLAB (interactive, passive, sequential, checkpointing and parallel)||V. Plugaru|
|11h00-12h30||Keynote: Users’ session: UL HPC experiences|
|13h30-15h00||PS9: [Advanced] Prototyping with Python||C. Parisot||PS11: Multi-Physics workdflows (CFD / MD / Chemistry Applications)||V. Plugaru|
|16h00-17h30||PS10: R - statistical computing||A. Ginolhac||PS12: Virtualization||H. Cartiaux|
|17h30-18h30||Keynote: Closing Keynote: Take Away Messages||S. Varrette|
PS = Practical Session using your laptop
The HPC school will be organized at the Belval campus of the University of Luxembourg.
University of Luxembourg, campus Belval
2, avenue de l’Université
49°30’15.4”N 5°56’54.2”E (49.504268, 5.948397)
By intercampus shuttle
The University of Luxembourg is offering an Intercampus Shuttle service linking its main sites in Luxembourg-City and Belval. More information on go2.uni.lu
The following bus lines are servicing several stops on Belval Campus:
- TICE Ligne 1: Esch - Belvaux - Lamadeleine;
- TICE Ligne 2: Esch - Soleuvre - Differdange;
- TICE Ligne 3: Esch - Belval - Bascharage - Niederedingen;
- TICE Ligne 4: Belval - Esch - Schifflange - Kayl - Dudelange;
- TICE Ligne 7: Belval - Esch - Lallange - ZARE;
- TICE Ligne 15: Esch - Belval - Bascharage - Clemency;
- RGTR Ligne 202: Luxembourg - Belvaux - Obercorn;
- RGTR Ligne 203: Luxembourg - Soleuvre - Differdange;
- RGTR Ligne 321: Luxembourg - Esch/Alzette - Villerupt (F);
- RGTR Ligne 322: Esch - Rédange (F);
- RGTR Ligne 325: Kirchberg - Hussigny (F);
- RGTR Ligne transfrontalière 306: Trier (D) - Cloche d’Or - Belval;
- RGTR Ligne transfrontalière 309: Perl (D) - Frisange - Belval.
More information: Mobilitait Zentral
By Train, “Belval-Université” Train Stop
Trains departing every 15 minutes from Luxembourg Central Station are direct to “Belval-Université” - line is connection-free via Esch-sur-Alzette. Get information on train schedules on the CFL’s website.
When on site, access to buildings is easy on foot.